Lesnovo – cross in a frame
The cross is composed of details of the epitrachelion of St. John the Theologian, a fresco in the altar east wall of the temple dedicated to St. Archangel Michael in the Lesnovo Monastery. It was originally designed and embroidered as a cross on a small omophorion from the model “Lesnovo”.
The Lesnovo monastery was founded and dedicated to St. Archangel Michael in the 11th century – by St. Gavril Lesnovski who himself lived for 30 years in a hermitage in the area, preserved to this day. It was rebuilt in 1341 by Despot John Oliver. The fresco painting, from which the mentioned details of the embroidery are taken, was completed in 1347, probably by four painters.
Dimensions: 10 x 15 cm
Material: satin, gold metallic threads.